Just because you’re retiring doesn’t mean you’re going to pull out a knee blanket and while away your days watching game shows. Retirees these days are go-getters and adventure-seekers, and Constantia is ideal for this new style of retirement.
Proven to reduce stress, boost the immune system, improve circulation, and as a great way to make new friends, the active lifestyle options offered in and around Constantia will boost your longevity.
And we’re not just talking walks in the park either. There is a wide range of outdoor activities to suit every ability right on your doorstep, or a short drive away.
- Swimming: There are many swim spots within short driving distance from Great Oaks, including:
- The rooibos-coloured waters of Silvermine dam is a true wonder. Icy cold water gets the blood flowing while the surrounding fynbos of the Silvermine Nature Reserve is something to behold. Get an access card to make regular visits easier.
- There are cold water swim groups and events all along the Mother City’s coast, with the Flamingals, Moxy Tribe, 36oneswim and Cape Town Open Water Swim Co., to name just a few…
- Swimming in Muizenberg, Fish Hoek or the gorgeous tidal pool at St. James Beach. There are regular swimmers who live the mermaid life daily, no matter the weather.
- Surfing: An excellent activity to take into your golden years, just 13kms from Constantia is one of the country’s surfing hotspots. Windy Muizenberg offers reliable waves almost year-round. It’s where the locals go.
- Stand Up Paddleboarding: If a larger board is more to your liking, head in the opposite direction to Hout Bay on a calm day and take a turn around the bay. Bring your own board or book a lesson and hire one with the local surf shop – you’ll be hooked.
- Golf: Steenberg Golf Course is an 18-hole championship golf course just a 5-minute drive away. It boasts a driving range and putting and chipping practice greens. They also have a vineyard on site which doesn’t hurt. Westlake Golf Course, also a premier course with beautiful facilities, is just around the corner.
- Hiking: With Table Mountain on one side and Constantiaberg on the other, Constantia offers you access to many great hikes venturing up Constantia Nek, into Cecilia forest, up the Vlakkenberg and through Silvermine. With each access point offering multiple trails, you’ll love exploring the fynbos-covered mountains, hunting for waterfalls and the reward of the vistas from the top.
- Walks: Not many South African suburbs can offer quite as many beautiful places to walk as Constantia. The treasured Constantia Greenbelt offers at least 9 walking trails that are relatively flat meanders along streams and woodland. Grab a coffee, take the dog, create a new ritual.
- Tennis: Part of the larger Constantia Sports Centre, the Constantia Tennis Club offers both league and social tennis as well as a ladies’ morning league.
- Bowling: Also a part of the Constantia Sports Centre, the Constantia Bowling Club are a part of Bowls South Africa and are open most days a week for those keen to play or keen to learn.
The biggest bonus of all is that Great Oaks will offer an Ozone Therapy pool and gym on site with free access for all residents. You’ll also have access to various yoga, pilates and dance classes to keep the heart pumping and the muscles moving!
Great Oaks Retirement Village in Constantia, Cape Town, is set to open for occupancy in February 2024. Apartments and cottages range between R3.5-million and R10.6-million. Contact us on 073 119 9999 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to chat about your retirement options.